Health Nut Balsamic Spinach Salad

Friday, September 28, 2012

Zucchini "Tots"

I have been on a "tot" kick lately. Trying to find substitutes for something as delicious as a golden white potato is near to impossible. But, since my family has nearly nixed the awesome root of deliciousness out of our diet, compensation is needed! Nothing will ever quite replace a crispy french fry, or a fluffy white potato steaming with butter and chives, or the more kid beloved, tater tot, but there are foods that can easily sub as a fun finger food, that is kid friendly and satisfies the craving for handheld munchies:) This is where the creativity can soar. I love cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, butternut squash, the list goes on. These are all things that I have found to be a helpful transition into this healthy little world I am trying to create. Mind you, as i said before, there is no real substitution for the white potato itself, but these lists of veggies have claimed a spot in my weekly menu because of their versatility and all around yumminess. Even a veggie you may not be particularly fond of can surprise you if you cook it the right way:) So here is the first of my veggie finger food attempts. Next will be spaghetti squash:)

Makes about 18 mini zucchini "tots"
Preheat oven to 400
2c. grated zucchini( I used my grating blade on my food processor)
2 eggs
1/2c. almond meal
1tsp. sea salt
1/2tsp. garlic powder( you can add any kind of herb or flavor you like)
2 pieces cooked turkey bacon crumbled

Grate zucchini. Once grated, squeeze the excess water out in a dish towel. (Don't skip this or they may come out soggy) Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Pour into mini muffin pan and bake for 10-15 minutes on 400 until golden brown. If you don't have a mini muffin pan, you can use a regular muffin pan, but don't fill them up all the way. They will be more like zucchini patties but will still taste the same. The point is bitesize finger food, so I recommend the mini:)
Note: My brother who despises zucchini liked these a lot! Try this same recipe with cauliflower. It is done the same way:) And is very delicious:)

No comments:

Post a Comment