Health Nut Balsamic Spinach Salad

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Raw Grasshopper Pie

This is a slight variation from my "good girl key lime pie". Same type of base and filling, just different flavors. When I was little we used to frequent a local restaurant which doubled as an ice cream parlor.....everything homemade and delicious! It was always a treat because not only did they have, in my opinion, the best mint chocolate chip ice cream ever,....but they made homemade grasshopper pie! For those of you who don't know...grasshopper pie is basically mint chocolate chip ice cream on top of an oreo crust....Yes....it's amazing! So, I set out to recreate a beloved memory of childhood....seems easy enough:) I am not a raw eater or a vegan...I do eat raw veggies, fruits, and nuts, and use a food dehydrator, but don't think that I'm one of those people who eats raw oats and flax oil for breakfast...(not that there's anything wrong with that), and says to fellow friends,"Oh this is sooooo amazing! Try it!!" as they nearly throw up in their mouths! I like a gluten free pancake, and turkey bacon, and eggs any day of the week! But, however, I do fully endorse healthy eating as a lifestyle, and coconut sugar infused desserts on the weekend:) So, with all that being said....yes, this is a raw dessert....does it taste like the real thing.....you be the judge. I am pretty stinkin sold! Again, I like food to taste like food, who doesn't? So don't think I'm deranged and it really taste like dirt.....it really is yummy!!!! If you love chocolate and mint....and more chocolate....give this a try!!!!!

For the crust
2c. raw almonds
4 medjool dates
2tbls. cocoa powder
2tbls. coconut oil
1/4-1/2tsp. peppermint extract(start small then add as needed)
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until it reaches a fine crumb consistency
Pour into a 5or 7 inch round pan...I used a 7. Press down until the whole pie pan is covered.
For the filling
1 ripe avacado
4tbls. coconut cream( this is just the cream skimmed off the top of coconut milk in the can)
1/2c. raw cashews(soaked in water for 1 hr.)
1/4-1/2tsp. peppermint extract(again start small add more slowly)
1/4c. xylitol
4-5packets stevia
2tbls.cocoa nibs or chocolate chips
Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips, in food processor....make sure to drain the water off the cashews first. Let it run for about 5 minutes or until completely smooth. Once mixture is smooth and it's to your liking, add chocolate chips or nibs and pulse to combine. Pour mixture over the crust and freeze for 30 minutes if serving that day. You can store leftovers in the fridge, but my favorite consisitency is stored in the freezer....it does not freeze like ice...it will still be very pliable even overnight:) I topped mine with shaved chocolate and cocoa nibs.









1 comment: