Health Nut Balsamic Spinach Salad

Monday, June 25, 2012

The "I'm Not Spending An Arm And A Leg For Crabmeat!" Crabcakes

Right off the bat, excuse the pic...it was rushed and a little out of focus, but it gets the job done:)
This post is a little off my norm as far as posts go. But I wanted to share this recipe, because.....these are SOOOOO DARN GOOD! Now I love crab as much as anyone, but let's be real, Im not gonna pay an arm and a leg for a lb. So, I decided to substitute the crab....I know, who would do such a thing??! Well it worked! Instead of buying lump crab which is a bit $$$, I bought tilapia...which is roughly $6 a lb. I'm quite sure another white fish would work in this recipe. But again, tilapia is the cheapest I know of so far, but if you try something different please share!:)
Makes 8 "crab"cakes
1lb. fresh tilapia fillets (3-4 pieces of fish) you can get your fish market to steam it or you can pan sear it right before combining.
1egg
3tbls.vegannaise ( this is a vegan mayo, if you don't have it,sub olive oil. I did this the other night and it worked great!)
2tsp. old bay seasoning
1/2tsp. sea salt
2tsp. fresh lemon juice
2tsp. dijon mustard
1tsp. braggs liquid aminos
2 dashes hot sauce(I use cholula)
Mix these together, set aside
In a separate bowl:
1/2c. fresh bread crumbs( I use leftover bread that I've baked, but you could use any gf bread or even ezekiel bread. Yo could also use 1/4c. almond meal 1/4c. flax meal as well. Run it through the food processor until it's fine crumbs)
1tbls. fresh cilantro,chopped (or parsley if you don't like cilantro)
After tilapia is cooked, break into small chunks and add the bread crumbs and cilantro. Once combined, add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. At this point, you could form patties and cook them, but I like to freeze mine for about 15 minutes, so they are easier to work with. Preheat a skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 tbls. grapeseed or light olive oil to the hot pan. Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve plain with lemon juice or with Cilantro chimichurri (as follows)
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
1/4tsp sea salt
1/4tsp. black pepper
2tsp. lime juice
1clove garlic
1tsp. honey
1/4c. olive oil
combine in food processor until emulsified
If you like a more creamy type dressing, sub 2tbls. greek yogurt, and 2tbls. vegannaise for the olive oil:)

No comments:

Post a Comment