Health Nut Balsamic Spinach Salad

Monday, July 16, 2012

Heavenly Strawberry Scones

My mom probably didn't think of herself as the "happy baker mom" while we were small, but nevertheless, I remember being greeted many a morning by delicious homemade muffins, pancakes, or breads. Most of them came from a box, but were still technically worthy of the title "homemade",because it was "made at home". She did great for the information and resources she had then, and I'm just grateful I wasn't forced to eat cereal or poptarts every morning lol!:) My favorite of all these, was the strawberry muffin. They're just pretty hard to beat in my book. I did, however,change the muffin status to a scone because they cook faster than a muffin. This recipe is made with wonderful coconut flour. It is low in calories, and high in fiber. Oh how I like coconut flour! I have made these before using blueberries, but when I went to make them the other day, I was saddened to find no blueberries in my fridge, but spotted the last of some lonely strawberries just waiting for the spotlight! They were moist, sweet, and the strawberries just took them to a whole nother' level! I made these the night before a trip, and took them as a "waiting in the terminal" snack.....well, I probably ate 4 waiting to get on the plane, but considering it was my lunch AND dinner for that day, I didn't feel too bad about it:)  Go make some now! That way you can have some for a snack, then again for breakfast!
Preheat oven to 350
4eggs (don't freak out at the eggs! remember eggs are good for you!....don't believe what the world says about them. They will not increase your cholesterol, but do just the opposite,plus they are a wonderful protein source, and help your brain function!So get egg happy:)
1/4c. plain greek yogurt
1/4c. melted coconut oil, or melted butter
1tsp. vanilla
1/4c. coconut crystals or date sugar
2tbls. blackstrap molasses
2tbls. honey ( you can always sub some stevia for any one or two of these sweeteners, I like it both ways:)
1/2c. coconut flour
1tsp. baking powder
1/4tsp. sea salt
1c. chopped fresh starwberries
Combine first 7 ingredients and mix well. Add in the coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt, then strawberries. Mix until combined. Batter will look runny at first, but don't worry, give it another minute and you'll see the coconut flour work it's magic and soak up allllllll that liquid! Drop by the spoonful on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes
Note: Obviously any other fruit you can imagine can be used here, but like I said, the strawberry won me over!

No comments:

Post a Comment