Health Nut Balsamic Spinach Salad

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The One....The Only....Gluten Free, Yeast Free Pizza!

Well honestly, I can't believe I've waited this long to post my pizza recipe, but I just HAD to have pictures before I could post, and it's been a while since we've last eaten this delectable delight:) I have been making homemade pizza for about 7 years, and when I first started, I was using home ground winter wheat, which made the pizza taste similar to grainy circles of cardboard at best! Then I switched to rye and wheat which made a small difference, but not enough to jump for joy.Then, about 4 years ago, I started exploring the gluten free realm. In short, our son was having some allergy issues, and it made tons of difference when we switched. That was all the motivation I needed! At first, I probably made pizza every weekend, trying out new flour blends, store-bought bags, anything that claimed to be delicious. I really enjoy the thrill of trying something new, and especially enjoy using my family as guinea pigs! I think they enjoy it too! The fact is, there are LOTS of pizza recipes out there....yeast, no yeast...gluten free, dairy free...ones that endlessly knead the dough, let the dough rise...prebake...I mean, it can be flat out confusing....I just wanted to make pizza every couple of friday nights! And I didn't want to be in the kitchen for 5 hours kneading and rolling and baking and topping....so after many, many experiments...and a couple of crumbly failures later, I finally developed a recipe that my family loves, and is super easy and delicious. Grant it, it's not as convenient as dialing a number and having it delivered to your door, but it is much healthier, and HOMEMADE! And homemade, is best! So pizza lovers rejoice!  It is possible to have yummy gluten free pizza:)
Makes 2 large thin crusts, or 1 large thick crust
3c. Gluten free flour blend( My personal blend is equal parts almond meal, tapioca flour and millet flour) Bob's red mill gf all purpose flour works well too.
2tsp. xanthan or guar gum(DO NOT OMIT!)
1tbls. baking powder
1 1/4tsp. sea salt
2tbls. olive oil
3/4c. water
Preheat the oven to 425
  • Mix dry ingredients together...Add in oil and water, and stir until well combined. (If you use a different flour blend than I do, it may need more or less water, so adjust accordingly. You can always add more flour if your mix is too wet, and add more water if it's too dry:) The dough should be sticky. 
  • Pour out onto your countertop and coat the dough and your hands with olive oil. Shape the dough into a smooth, round ball. Cut in half.
  • Coat 2 round baking pans with olive oil. Place the dough onto the pan and with your hands or a rolling pin, roll the dough into a larger circle. The larger the circle, the thinner the crust, so if you like it thicker, make it smaller. You could even use a 9" round pan and make a personal pan deep dish!
  • Top pizza with desired sauce (recipe at bottom) and toppings. The usual toppings at our house are turkey pepperoni, a veggie, and a bbq chicken and jalapeno:) We also use mozzarella almond cheese. I know that sounds weird, but it's a hit with my whole family. The first time I did it, they didn't even notice!:) Sometimes, I'll do mostly almond cheese with a little mozzarella on top. Bake for 15 minutes until top is golden and bubbly:)

Note: You can get creative with the sauce and toppings. I usually buy the small can of organic tomato sauce, then make a batch of spinach pesto (recipe found here on my blog) and mix them together for an amazing sauce!! For the bbq chicken, I use Drew's Smoky tomato dressing mixed with a little honey, then to make it easy, some boars head buffalo chicken from the deli:)




No comments:

Post a Comment